Thursday, September 9, 2010

Respect runs in the family...

  My title pretty much explains it all. We all want to be respected. It is a natural desire to have. Who wouldn't want to have respect from others? No matter what a person says out loud, deep down, everyone wants to have respect from others. What is respect? This is a word that does not have one simple answer. For me, respect is a necessity. It is common sense. It is a way of life actually.
  Growing up, the concept of respect was instilled on me by both my parents, but especially my father. My dad is one of my biggest role models. He is wise and talented, kind and funny, and he cooks! (Guys in the future better be prepared because you have big shoes to fill)! I think he always talked about respect, and raised my sisters and I with it, because of his father.
  My grandfather recently passed away from Alzheimer's. I never really knew him when he was completely lucid, but the week of his death, I learned more about him and his life than I ever thought I would. The puzzle pieces of my life slowly started to come together and questions that I didn't even know I had were answered. Everything seemed so clear. I will now try to tell the amazing story of my grandpa in just one paragraph.

  My grandpa Max, for those who really knew him, got the mumps at age 16 which left him legally blind. Now this is a difficult situation to deal with in the first place, but Max was no normal man. He was a musician. This was his love and passion. But instead of giving up on music because he could not see the notes in front of him, he worked even harder. He eventually graduated from a braille and sight-saving school and then earned degrees at both Drake and Iowa State University. He went on, to not only play music, but teach it as well. Max was one of the most RESPECTED band directors during his career. He won numerous awards and was a role model, mentor and inspiration to all of his students.

  My grandpa taught his children to work hard at everything they do and to be good people. Max was a prime example of what respect means. He did not step on or hurt other people to get to the top. He did it with hard work and integrity. That is what he taught my dad, who then taught it to me and my sisters. I am proud to be able to say that I am the daughter of Mark Whitlock and the grand-daughter of Max Whitlock. Two men who I will love and always respect.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment